Free antivirus software?
Typical antivirus software is actually a combination of several different software programs. If we combine the right programs, we will have a good level of protection for our computer. So when we are looking for best free antivirus software, it means we need to install several free programs which makes the total antivirus suite.
In order to give your computer a high level of protection, you need the following with my recommendations:
1. Antivirus: Avira or Avast(http://www.avast.com).
2. Antispyware: Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org) or Spyware Doctor.
3. Firewall: Zone Alarm or PC Tools Firewall Plus (http://www.pctools.com/firewall).
4. Anti-hack tools: SnoopFree Privacy Shield (http://www.snoopfree.com/PrivacyShield.htm), Keyscrambler for Firefox and KeePass.
5. Fraud and phishing filter: Use both Web of Trust (http://www.mywot.com) and McAfee Site Advisor (http://www.siteadvisor.com).
6. Sand Box: Sandboxie (http://www.sandboxie.com) Sandboxie runs your programs (web browser, etc) in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.